So you guysâ¦.are you feeling the Cinco de Mayo vibes or what? Iâm on a major Mexican/Southwestern kick and itâs not stopping until Tuesday. Last week it was the round up, today itâs this sweet potato + black bean quinoa salad and Tuesday is going to be Margarita Green Smoothies.Â
So pretty please just indulge meâ¦if only for the next few days!
Today though? Itâs all about this salad. With chili roasted sweet potatoes, earthy black beans, nutty quinoa, crunchy lettuce and a creamy avocado-cilantro dressing, itâs got everything you need to make salad the star of your meal.
Personally, Iâm a big fan of making salads for dinner. I think itâs fun to change things up; swap in different ingredients, add a variety of protein sources and just go a little wild. Salads are one of those meals you can really play around with.
But what I love most about salad is that itâs simple. Itâs not fussy. Itâs not overly complicated. Itâs just veggies on top of veggies on top of veggies, sometimes drizzled in an ultra creamy and decadent sauce.
Yeah, sounds like my kind of meal.
Sticking true to saladsâ roots, I wanted to make sure this black bean quinoa salad was super simple. The only cooking involved is the sweet potatoes and really thatâs just peeling, chopping, tossing in some spices and letting them roast away.
Everything else just getâs mixed together at the end.
(wellâ¦the dressing is made in the blender, but that only takes like a few seconds)Â
Dinner in 30 minutes? Iâll take it. Any day of the week.
Share this recipe!
Chili Roasted Sweet Potato + Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
for the salad:
1 large sweet potato
1 (15 oz) can black beans
3 cups cooked quinoa (made from 1 cup dry)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
Juice of 1 lime
Salt + pepper
Lettuce/greens to serve
1 batch Cilantro-Avocado Dressing
for the dressing:
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
Juice of 2 limes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato in small, bite-sized pieces. Melt the coconut oil and drizzle it over the sweet potatoes. Toss to coat. Add in chili powder and sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
- Roast sweet potatoes for 20 - 25 minutes until tender, stirring half way through so as not to burn them.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, rinse and drain the black beans. Add them to a large bowl along with quinoa. Set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender (starting with less water and adding more as needed). Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add enough water to make it drizzable.
- Once sweet potatoes are done roasting, let them cool for 5 minutes. Add to the bowl with black beans and quinoa. Squeeze lime juice over the top and stir to combine.
- Arrange lettuce in 4 bowls Top with sweet potato-black bean mixture and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy as is or toss everything together in the bowls (I did this and it was yum!).
Copyright Â© 2010-2014 by Simply Quinoa, All Rights Reserved. This recipe, and the photos associated with this recipe, are the property of Simply Quinoa. Do not duplicate this recipe without written consent by its owner.
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #SIMPLYQUINOA â I want to see your own quinoa creations!
Note: There is a poll embedded within this post, please visit the site to participate in this post's poll.
The post Chili Roasted Sweet Potato + Black Bean Quinoa Salad appeared first on Simply Quinoa.
Read the original on: