Happy April! Can you believe that Iâm sitting in Vermont right now and itâs snowing outside? Snowing! Itâs only 19ÂºF, Iâm snuggled up next to the fire with a cup of ginger tea, puppies playing at my feet, and dreaming of summer.
This time of year is so bizarre in the Northeast. Itâs sunny and 70 one day and then three days later itâs snowing. With all the fluctuations in temperatures, my body kind of goes on a roller coaster as far as food cravings. Last week it was all about crispy romaine salads and this week itâs all about these warm and cozy sweet potato fritters.
This recipe is a riff on my other sweet potato fritter recipe, but I decided to lighten them up a little bit by adding in carrots, and since so many of you asked last time, these fritters are egg-free.
The flavor is also a bit more complex with the addition of curry powder. I actually love how curry powder is just one spice but can bring so much to a dish. These fritters are given a distinctly ethnic flare with just one ingredient!
Just like the other fritters, the ingredient list is still super simple which is part of the appeal. You only need six if youâre making them vegan and five if youâre not. Theyâre such a cinch to whip up and make for a delicious side dish or easy lunch.
(I just ate half the batch with hummus and sprouts and it was delish!)
Iâve been craving the curry sweet potato burgers, but havenât had the motivation to actually make them. So weâre keeping the flavor combination but simplifying it by making fritters. The combination and sweet potato and curry are a perfect match â theyâre both warm and the curry really brings out the sweetness of the potatoes (and carrots in this case).
I loved them plain, but you could also have some fun with the toppings to make them even more interesting. Some ideasâ¦
- dairy-free yogurt with fresh ginger + parsley
- tahini, lemon juice + pressed garlic
- coconut cream with lime + cilantro
- sliced green onions
What other ways vegetables/fruit have you used to make fritters before? Iâm actually loving how simple these are so want to try some other combos. Iâm thinking zucchini later this summer and maybe an apple one for the fall! (theyâd be great for breakfast!)
Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot Fritters
Author: Alyssa Rimmer
Serves: 10 fritters
- 1Â½ cups shredded sweet potato
- 1 cup shredded/grated carrot
cup quinoa flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (or 2 flax eggs)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt (and pepper) to taste
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Topping: yogurt, ginger + parsley and/or sliced green onions
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato, carrots, flour, egg(s), curry powder, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture together with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined.
- Add 2 - 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, form small patties out of the sweet potato mixture in your hands.
- Cook the fritters until golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes, then flip cook an additional 2 minutes. Transfer the fritters to a cooling rack. Repeat this process with the remaining mixture.
- Serve slightly warm as is (or with a quick mixture of non-dairy yogurt, ginger and parsley or simply sliced green onions).
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Download Your Free Guide
Want more clean eating recipes like this?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
The post Curried Carrot + Sweet Potato Fritters appeared first on Simply Quinoa.
Read the original on: