These grilled Greek Turkey Burgers are so flavorful and juicy youâll forget that they are actually healthy, too!
The first time I suggested that we grill turkey burgers, John was pretty skeptical â I know this because he raised his eyebrows as he headed our to turn on the grill! Even so, after trying GREEK Turkey Burgers, he had to admit that they were actually pretty tasty! One of the secrets to these juicy and flavorful burgers is feta cheese mixed into the turkey meat before grilling, so itâs practically like eating a cheeseburger without all the calories, right?
Besides feta, add fresh lemon zest, dried oregano, and a little salt to the ground turkey meat before forming into patties. Pretty simple, right?
Before we tried turkey burgers, if you asked our girls they would tell you their Dadâs hamburgers were the absolute best. (Shhhâ¦his âfamily secretâ burger recipe is actually our favorite bottled marinade!). I guess thereâs just something about a good, fresh burger and eating outdoors that always makes it so good. We still enjoy hamburgers, but I gotta tell you that Grilled Turkey Burgers are run a pretty close race with the old favorite!
Another thing that makes these burgers especially delicious is a simple, fresh cucumber sauce thatâs similar to tzatziki. Add fresh mint, grated cucumber, and a pinch of salt to plain Greek yogurt â thatâs it! Itâs best to seed the cucumber before grating, and also gently squeezing the grated cucumber in a clean paper towel to remove some of the moisture will keep the sauce from getting watery.
Serve the turkey burgers on a whole wheat bun and top them with the cucumber sauce, lettuce, and thin slices of cucumber and red onion. Add a side of baked sweet potato fries for a quick â and healthier â weeknight meal.
Greek Turkey Burgers
5 min Prep Time
10 min Cook Time
15 min Total Time
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 (4-oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup grated English cucumber
- 1 (6-oz.) container fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 French hamburger buns, split and toasted
Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices, thinly sliced cucumber
Garnish: pepperoncini salad peppers
- Stir together first 6 ingredients. Shape mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and cook burgers 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Stir together cucumber, yogurt, mint, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Serve burgers on buns with cucumber sauce and desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.
Adapted from Southern Living, 2010
Â© 2015 Life, Love, and Good Food | Sheila Thigpen
The post Greek Turkey Burgers appeared first on Life, Love, and Good Food.
Read the original on:
Life, Love, and Good Food