This is a perfect, weather proof salad. Serve it cold in the summer and warm when the temperature starts to dive.
The versatility doesnât stop there. When we were kids,Â Â mum used to serve this in tiny bowls as a healthy and filling after school snack.I could never eat a proper lunchÂ in the heat of the Mumbai summers. This was always a welcome break from regularÂ meals, washed down with some cold âtaakâ (buttermilk/ salted lassi).
Stay with the classic version or add any toppings you like â chopped tomatoes, boiled and cubed potatoes.
Of course, if you have never tried black chickpeas before, this is a great way to get acquainted. Black chickpeas are smaller and darker than the more familiar version. Apparently, they are also healthier â higher fibre, lower GI.
Kaale chane or Black chickpeas
1 cup black chickpeas (soaked overnight and boiled)
1/2 a teaspoon mustard seeds
6-8 curry leaves
1 teaspoon oil
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon grated coconut
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes (optional)
1/4 cup potatoes, boiled and chopped (optional)
1/2 Â a lemon
Black chickpeas in a healthy salad, served warm or cold
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the chickpeas and salt. Mix well.
2. In a small pan, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and let them splutter.
3. Pour the oil with the mustard seeds and curry leaves over the chickpeas and mix well. Let cool.
4. Mix in all the other ingredients and toss well.
5. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, if you are serving this cold. Else, serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon.