I donât know about you, but I get cravings for slow cooker meals. Â It could be anything as long as itâs in the slow cooker filling my house with delicious smells all day long.
One of my sonâs favorite things to eat are Meatball Subs. Â I think that boy could eat his weight in his favorite sammie if given the opportunity. Â This recipe only takes four hours in the slow cooker and is delish on a toasted roll with a sprinkling (or a heap) of tart cheddar cheese.
Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 8 sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 sandwich, 4 meatballs
Slow cooked meatballs in a quick tomato sauce makes an easy weeknight meal.
For the Meatballs:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (or other bread crumbs)
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Sauce:
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg (or ground nutmeg)
salt & pepper to taste
8 hoagie rolls, split and toasted
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, egg, onion, bread crumbs, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Shape into 32 balls and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered. Remove from oven and discard the fat.
- In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker, add the crushed tomatoes, red pepper, brown sugar, dijon, chili powder, garlic powder, sriracha, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the cooked meatballs, stirring gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Place meatballs on toasted hoagie rolls and top with extra sauce and cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of www.farmgirlgourmet.com. Reprinting without permission is unethical.
Read the original on: