With farmerâs market season in full swing, Iâm doing all that I can to snap up as much produce as possible. One of my favorites right now is summer squash/zucchini. Iâm hooked on making zucchini noodles, especially my pesto zucchini noodles and zucchini noodle pad thai, but Iâve also just been adding them raw to my salads. Itâs a nice alternative to cucumber.
Now I say â/â because summer squash and zucchini are kind of the same vegetable as far as taste goes, but I love the contrast between the yellow and green, which is why I tend to buy both of them. Today Iâve tossed these two veggies into this quick summer squash and zucchini quinoa salad, which is an absolute breeze to whip up and perfect for summer.
This recipe requires just 10 ingredients and comes together in less than 15 minutes!
You start by chopping up your squash and zucchini (I did mine in half circles) and giving them a quick sautÃ© in some olive oil, salt and pepper.
Once the veggies have softened slightly, you add your quinoa and cook it for just a few seconds more until everything is warm.
Then itâs time for the dressing.
I knew going in I wanted the dressing to be lemony, but I also wanted it to have a bold flavor, so instead of just squeezing in lemon juice and mixing in my other ingredients, I actually added some lemon zest too. By adding the zest, weâre really able to amp up the flavor and add in that bright, happy feel that lemon seems to bring to meals.
Along with the lemon, itâs just some chopped dill, red pepper flakes for a little heat and a touch more salt.
To round the whole salad out, weâre adding in some toasted pine nuts which give it a nice nutty flavor and some much needed crunch.
In addition to the boost in texture and flavor you get, the pine nuts also add a ton of nutritional value to the salad. Not only are they high in vitamins A, C and D, but pine nuts are also filled with healthy fats and protein which will help to fill you up faster and make the entire more satisfying.
Here are some fun ideas for serving this salad:
- Served warm along side some grilled tofu or chicken
- Chill in the fridge, toss in some chickpeas and take it with you for a picnic
- Serve a large scoop on top of your favorite greens with a drizzle of olive oil
- Stir in your favorite protein to make it a full meal
Then itâs just time to dig in and enjoy!
Summer Squash + Zucchini Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts
Author: Alyssa Rimmer
- 1 medium summer squash, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely minced
- Â½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Â¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the squash and in zucchini in the olive oil until almost tender, about 3 - 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add quinoa to the skillet and cook for another minute or so until everything is warm.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, zest, dill and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Either transfer this mixture to a bowl or leave in the skillet and add the dressing and pine nuts. Toss to combine, taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm or cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Download Your Free Guide
Want more quinoa salad recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
The post Summer Squash + Zucchini Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts appeared first on Simply Quinoa.
Read the original on: