A delicious classic yellow cake frosted with thick, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate buttercream!
This cake is soft and moist with the perfect combination of density and fluff to it.Â And when you top it off with a rich, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate buttercream frosting, it pushes this cake over the top. Absolutely delicious. Simple, yet divine.
Everybody should know how to make a cake from scratch. TheyÂ taste way better than the cake mixes, and theyâre just so simple to make!
Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 and Â¼ cups (176g) plain flour
- 1 and Â¼ cups (150g) cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Â½ tsp baking soda
- Â½ tsp salt
- 1 and â
cups (356g) granulated sugar
- Â¾ cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- Â¼ cup (2 oz) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 oz) buttermilk
For the frosting
- 1 and Â½ cups (12 oz) butter, at room temperature (I used 1 cup unsalted and Â½ cup salted)
- 3 and Â¾ cups (448g) icing sugar
cup (68g) cocoa powder
- 3 - 5 tbsp single cream
- 1 and Â½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C. Butter two 9-inch round baking pans, line with parchment paper and butter the parchment. Set aside.
- Sift plain flour and cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer and a large mixing bowl) whip together the Â¾ cup butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in vegetable oil, then the eggs one at a time, and then the egg yolks. Mix in the 2 tsp of vanilla. Add in â
of the flour mixture then mix just until combined, then add in Â½ of the buttermilk and blend until combined, repeat process once more then finish by mixing in remaining â
of the flour mixture.
- Divide batter among the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 - 29 minutes until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. (If baking cakes one at a time, bake for about 20 minutes.)
- Cool in pans for several minutes, then run a knife around the edge to make sure they are loose, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Frost with chocolate buttercream. Store in an airtight container.
For the frosting
- In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip 1Â½ cups butter on moderately high speed until very pale and fluffy. Sift in cocoa powder then add in icing sugar, 3 tbsp single cream, and the 1Â½ tsp vanilla, then mix on low speed until combined. Mix in up to additional 2 tbsp of single cream to thin as needed. Increase mixer to medium-high speed and whip until fluffy.
The post Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting appeared first on Marsha's Baking Addiction.
Read the original on:
Marsha's Baking Addiction